Rhubarb & Custard Gin
I love Rhubarb! Usually it goes into a crumble, which I love but this year friends seem to have a bumper crop and I was given so much Rhubarb. What was I to do with it all?
The answer came in one of those lovely flashes of inspiration. I have been busy sorting through lots of the goodies that the girls and I have been foraging, from Haws to blackberries we have quite the stash. It has got me looking into lots of different ways of making cordials, tonics and tinctures. I shall be sharing more foraging recipies with you, as the Mindful Makes series grows.
I wanted something for the grown-ups, that was simple to make but just for you! You can get the kids involved in the making, just not the drinking!
Rhubarb & Custard Gin Recipe
- 500grams cut Rhubarb
- 200grams of caster sugar
- 1-2 Drops of vanilla paste
- Storage Jars 2 x 500grams or 1 large jar (they must have a clip closed lid with a seal)
- Bottle of plain Gin
- Cut the Rhubarb into 2 cm pieces (they do not need to be exact)
- I froze my pieces but you can also use them when freshly cut
- Put half the pieces into the bottom of the jar along with half the sugar and 1-2 drops of the vanilla paste (again you can use liquid but go for a really good quality one if you can)
- Shake the jar well to ensure that the Rhubarb is covered in the sugar.
- Repeat with the other jar and leave for 24 hours
- Top up each jar with Gin, leave enough room to be able to stir the mix.
- Leave for the next 7-14 days, giving a little stir or mush with a spoon every few days. (I found it really helped to release the flavour, though many people just leave it alone)
- When you are ready to serve, put a piece of muslin over a large measuring jug and gently tip the liquid from the jar out. I also like to push out the Rhubarb and press it down with a spoon to get all the really good stuff.
- Pour into a glass bottle. Again if you can reuse an existing bottle then please do.
How To Serve Your Gin
This has such an amazing flavour, so I like to use a plain Tonic, but it also works well with lemonade too. Serve in a large glass with lots of ice and you have your own beautifully flavoured Rhubard & Custard Gin.
It would also make the perfect gift for any gin lover. So be prepared to make several batches!
Using fresh produce from the garden, having just a little time to make it into something really special and you really do have a great Mindful activity. My daughter loved making this, in fact she was in charge of the daily stiring.
This post does contain Amazon Affiliate links, where if you purchase through this link I wil earn a small commission from sales.
Mindful Activities For All The Family
You can also get the kids busy with other great mindfulness activities. From Christmas Crafts to making eco-friendly gifts for all the family, there is something for all.
Please do come and join the Mindful Parenting community over in Facebook, were there are lovely parents from all over the world sharing ideas on how they are adding in mindful moments to their day.
You can also download the FREE anxiety pack here - if you or a member of your family are feeling anxious in these uncertain times
As always feel free to connect with me, hit the comments below or come see me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest or Youtube.
Have you grabbed the FREE Anxiety Pack - Help for those dealing with stress & anxiety?
Join the Private Facebook Group - all for parents looking for more ideas.
Sign up to the newsletter for lots more freebies and little ways of adding in some mindful moments
- Affirmations (6)
- Things To Do With The Kids - Mindful Makes (13)
- Things To Try At Home (31)
- Anxiety - Tools For Parents & Kids (12)
- Mindfulness Techniques For Kids (26)
- Mindfulness Techniques For Adults (5)
- Mindful Parenting (37)
- Mindful Living (10)
- Mindful Working (3)
- Work Life Balance (14)
- Babies and Beyond - Mindful Mums (4)
- Christmas (6)
- All Articles (40)
Lots of Mindful Parenting FREEBIES
if you would like to grab regular freebies including printables, then please join the mailing list.
Mindful Parenting Printable Packs
Just part of the products available, affirmations as such an easy mindful activity to add into the day
Affirmations For Mums
Printable daily positive affirmations
20 Daily Positive Affirmations with 4 blank cards for you to create your own affirmations.
Affirmations for Teenagers
daily affirmations for teens
24 daily affirmations for teens
6 blank notes for space to create their own positive affirmations
GIANT Affirmations Bundle
Over 100 Affirmations!
Your Giant Affirmation Bundle with over 100 affirmations!
Printable affirmations for:
- 30 Days of Affirmations
- 10 blank cards to create your won
Leave a comment